Guide to UK immigration - Work Permit

Internship UK

Our Work Permit page will help you by providing the necessary information needed while planning your UK work experience with Internship-UK

At Internship UK we are an equal opportunist company providing students and graduates with practical work experience in the UK. By reading our UK Visa and Work Permit page you will find out more about the up to date requirements and information about working in the UK and advice on work permits and immigration policies in the UK.

As our Internship programs are full time positions a requirement for all candidates looking for an internship in the UK will need to acquire a valid UK work permit.

A valid UK work permit is required before we can accept any applicant into our internship programme, as our internship programmes are full time placements consisting of 40 hours per week.

Please note that Internship UK is unable to act as an intermediary or sponsor for you to acquire a work permit status in UK. You must have a valid work permit that permits you to work 40 hours per week before we can accept you as an intern in our company

To apply for a work permit for the UK it is advisable that you contact your nearest embassy or institution to find out more information.

It is advisable that a valid UK work permit should be obtained prior to the start of your Internship UK work experience.

To work in the UK you will need to hold a passport and a current UK work visa or permit. You will need to have this documentation prior to entering the UK for work. For more information about work permits and immigration feel free to visit:

Please note that applicants from Romanian and Bulgaria will also need to apply for a additional work permit to grant access to work full time in the UK.

If you do come from Romanian or Bulgaria can you please note in your application form whether you have the specific work papers to work full time in the UK. (European Union Blue Card)

Otherwise we will not be able proceed with your application for an internship in our company.

UK Immigration Categories:

UK Immigration policy

Internship UK

As of 2008 the UK immigration policies have introduced the points-based immigration system. This system has been introduced as a means of regulating immigration to the UK from out the European Economic Area (EEA) The points based system composing of five different tier categories which will replace all the previous work permit schemes. The new points based system ensures that those with the right skills or contribution will be able to come to the UK to work and to study

UK work guide »

Tier 1 Immigration Visa

Tier 1: Formally part of the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme. The Tier 1 group is for highly skilled migrants, investors and foreign gradudate students. Migrants coming to the UK under the Tier 1 category visa do not need a job offer or a sponsor and are free to seek employment in the UK. In order to apply a candidate must successfully score 75 points under a points based system to come to the UK the under tier 1 category.


With the new points based system in the UK, under the tier 1 category a individual must successfully score 75 points under a points based system to come to the UK under tier 1.

For more information about UK border agency »

In addition under the tier 1 category students who have successfully completed a first or postgraduate degree at a UK institution can apply for permission to work in the UK for two years under a post study work permit. The post study work sub category has replaced the International Gradudate Scheme (IGS)

Tier 2 Immigration Visa

Tier 2: Offers entry in the UK for skilled workers who are citizens from countries outside of the European Economic Area. In all cases people in a tier 2 category applying for entry with this scheme must be in possession of a job offer and fulfil all other requirements.

Once again Internship-UK is unable to act as a sponsor for securing your work placement status in the UK.

For more information about Tier 2 »

Tier 3 Immigration Visa

Tier 3: The tier 3 category encompasses predominately unskilled labour for temporary migration for employment that is largely seasonal in nature. However, the UK government has stated that, this employment based immigration policy has been suspended from implementation for an indefinite period of time.

For more information about Tier 3 »

Tier 4 Immigration Visa

Tier 4: This category is for students who wish to come to the UK to undertake a course of study. Students from spring 2009 will be required to make an application to demonstrate that they have sufficient points to qualify. In addition students have to meet any mandatory requirements and have a licensed sponsor in the UK that has offered a course of study. Once again Internship UK is unable to act as as form of sponsor for students.

However as this is a full time Internship program if you are on a student visa can you indicate on your application the days in which you are permitted to work full time. (40 hours per week) If you can only work part time (20 hours per week) we will not be able to proceed with your application for an internship in our company.

The current system grants visas for an initial one year. Foreign students may work 20 hours while in school and up to 40 hours during holidays. Under the new points based system once a student graduates from an UK institution, they can apply for a Tier 1 visa under the post study work category. The post study visa replaced the international graduate scheme (IGS)

Tier 5 Immigration Visa

Tier 5: The Tier 5 system more commonly known as Youth Mobility Scheme (YMS) provides young people aged between 18 – 30 who come to Britain to work for up to two years. This programs is available for citizens of nations with which the UK has working holiday agreements or similar agreements. However again the a candidate looking to enter the UK under the Youth Mobility Scheme will need a form of sponsorship from their own government before we can proceed with the application process.

For the participating countries under the Youth Mobility Scheme of New Zealand Australia Japan and Canada their respective nations will act as a sponsor.

That operate under the Tier 5 Internship UK will not be able to act as a sponsor for work permit status in the UK you must first acquire sponsorship from your own government before applying for one of our internship programs..

Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) / Settlement Visa

After being in the UK for a certain length of time you are able to apply for an indefinite leave to remain in the UK, also known as permanent residency. The exact length of time depends on what type of visa you are currently on. Once you have indefinite leave to remain you can stay in the UK freely without making further application. You can also work freely for any employer in any position.

For more information about ILR »

UK Ancestry Visa

A UK Ancestry Entry clearance grants citizens of commonwealth countries who have a grandparent who was born in the UK access to work in the UK. The main criteria are that you are able to support yourselft without access to public funds and are willing and able to work in the UK. An ancestry visa will provide citizens with access to the UK job market without restriction.

For more information about UK Ancestry Visa »

Student Visa

Although students studying here are not normally allowed to work in the UK. Students can work without permission as long as they do not work for more than 20 hours per week or start a business and the work they do is not a full time job or placement. If you are on a student visa and are only permited to work (20 hours per week) we will not be able to proceed with your application for one of our internship programs.

For more information about Student »

Spouses Visa

Applicants for entry into the UK may be made by married partners where the marriage is long lasting and that both partners intend to live together permanently, in addition candidates with a spouse visa would need to satisfy a number of other requirements.

For more information about Spouse »

Naturalisation to the UK

When an individual has successfully obtained an Indefinite leave to remain in the UK. They may wish to consider applying for naturalisation visa and thereby obtaining British nationality. However, there are numerous requirements that have to be satisfied for a successful application for naturalisation.

For more information about Naturalisation »

UK Dual Citizenship

In order to apply for a UK dual citizenship. It requires that you can provide an ancestral line to the applicant country. By obtaining a dual citizenship you will be able to work in all countries within the European Economic Area (EEA)

For more information about UK Dual Citizenship »